Drawing can seem overwhelming at the beginning. I dreamt of illustrator career since 2009 but I didn’t dare to start because I felt like it is impossible if you don’t have the talent for drawing. My biggest enemy was myself. I did not understand proportions and I felt silly for not getting it how the position should look like. Only last year, I started to draw every day. It gave me so much pleasure that I could not stop. I learned some tricks to make it easy and more fun. At the end of this year, I got 3 big commercial projects. Conclusion: I wish I started earlier, you can do anything you put your mind up to. The only thing that is stopping you from growing is yourself.
My 8 favorite tips for making drawing easy and fun:
- Hide, what you cannot draw yet.
- Use only two colors.
- Get inspired by famous illustrators with minimal and fun style ( @malikafavre @andyjpizza @lisacongdon ).
- Make it personal or fun. Draw about your personal experiences or support your cause.
- Don’t buy any new tools until you master one. Use what you already have.
- Exaggerate shapes.
- Focus on one theme/object/person.
- Turn your weaknesses into your style. For a long time, I didn’t know how to draw human figures so my illustrations were more symbolic.